Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Fishing with Mussels as Bait

Ever Thought of Fishing with Mussels?

Me either...but today I noticed a guy cracking open shells and placing them on his hook.  I went over and talked to him and it surprised me to find out that he was fishing with mussels. I found out that he finds mussels at a specialty grocery store and found them in the frozen section.

I went and got a few bags of these beauties and guess what an excellent hit from walleye, wiper, and catfish.


ONE

Choose your mussels fresh or frozen.  I have been told that fresh mussels are the better choice but from my perspective frozen worked just fine for me. 

TWO

Open the shells with your hands if they are partially open.  If they are closed try sliding a flat  knife into the crack of the shell and pull the two sides apart.

Image result for frozen mussels

FOUR

Slide your mussel meat onto the hook.  Place the thickest-hardest part of the mussel onto the hook. Try keeping the mussel close to the center of the hook. Curve the mussel a bit, and then pierce the flesh a second and third time, if possible.  Put as much flesh as possible through the hook to keep it in place. Then, slide the entire mussel up the hook to have an exposed hook.

FIVE

If the mussel is loose you can tie a piece of fishing bait thread on the end to hold it in place. This will helps to keep it in place but it is not necessary.  

SIX
Have an amazing time fishing!!


No comments:

Post a Comment