Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Protect your RV-Trailer-Camper- Cover from Damage Tearing

Protect your RV-Trailer-Camper- Cover from Damage




LESSON 1
In the winter we get pretty harsh snow, freezing rain, and wind.  For added protection I decided to purchase an Aquashed ACDO Cover like the one pictured above.   I winterized my travel trailer and decided to put this cover on. 
Well it sure was fun trying to get it on just right it's like getting a three year old dressed in the morning.  I used a ladder and with the help of my husband secured the straps into position.  I started in the back and moved to the front of the trailer.  When I went back to the camper the material looked in great condition but I noticed that there were holes rubbing on the top where the gutters come out on the roof.  I decided to leave it since it was super cold out.  By the end of the winter season the holes were completely worn through the material but I decide to keep the cover since it was in perfect condition otherwise. 
LESSON 2
The next winter when I put the cover on I just poked the gutters through the holes in the cover and went on my marry way.  By the end of the second season the cover was completely ripped off the trailer only to be held on by the bottom straps it was ripped to shreds.
I love having the protection of the cover and it keeps all the dust, dirt, and debris from running the roof of the trailer.  I recommend a cover for all seasons because of the protection it provides.
LESSON 3
So spending another $300 on a cover I decided that I should get my brain out of my pocket and actually come up with a plan on how I was going to keep this cover from getting torn up.  While looking at the gutters and other sharp metal items I came up with an idea.  I looked at the swim noodles that my kids were using while floating in the lake.  If I was to cut one  of those up I could use them as protection on the gutter and it would be a softer surface.  I could use gorilla tape to hold the noodle together. 

 




Here is what I did...
1.  Measure the Gutter Length
2.  Cut the Noodle to Length x 2 inches Longer
3.  Wrapped Noodle around Gutter and Secured in Place with   Gorilla Tape
4.  Waaa Laa Problem Solved!


You can purchase a swim noodle for $1 at Dollar Tree














While Speaking to my friend this week he told me that the Camper Supply store carried an item that can be purchased just for this reason. 
https://www.campingworld.com/rv-cover-rescue














While thinking about spending $25 on this he said that he could use old racquet balls that he had laying around his garage and come up with the same contraption.  He cut a hole in the racket ball wide enough for the gutter to fit in and drilled a hole in the other side to insert rope inside.  He tied a knot and placed one end on the gutter and ran the rope to the other side of the trailer and waa laaa $1.50 gutter guard. 




If you would like to purchase a gutter guard or make one on your own why not protect your cover as long as possible saving money to spend on your next camping adventure!





No comments:

Post a Comment